The lights form the city of Trondheim, established in the year 997, lit up the sky in front of us. We were sailing in the light from the stars. It was a bit chilly but we have come to accept that we have entered the parts of Norway where winter is still the standard. A few hours back the wind picked up suddenly an tore our foresail into shreds pieces. There was no way for us to save it. In the ocean outside a small storm was picking up and we now motored besides a whole school whales swimming toward calmer waters. We had of course forgotten about the tide and had therefore strong currents making the passage take double the time. Our decision to make the extra trip in the Trondheim fjord was done before we started out five weeks ago.
Trondheim means we have passed the halfway-mark. It meant we could visit Captain Simen’s grandma and gave us time to search out a new sail. It would be extremely hard to keep sailing north without a good foresail to accompany us. Now when the winds have finally started to turn in our favor. Also we were going to pick up an extra crew for the next part of this trip north. It still remains to see if she can make the journey here, but we are trying our best to make it happen.
As of right now, the world itself and our country is in a bit of crisis. The corona virus have totally closed down most of the cities. We’ll probably end up having to be a bit sneaky on our way from here. Shops, restaurants, services and other stuff are temporarily closed down. People are keeping to themselves and are nowhere to be seen. I almost felt privileged walking downtown Trondheim on a Saturday night with no other people outside. A random taxi and a few confused people were all we could find, if I didn’t know better I would say it was 4:30 Wednesday morning, not eleven at night on a Saturday..
We have met some friends and found a sail. I made a couple of calls and without much problems we found a sail that would fit. I really hope it will pass the first tests when we are back on the water. It looks strong, is a tiny bit shorter, but that might just be good as we are now entering colder temperatures. And as sailors we have learned that the cold winds are much stronger and harder than the warm summer winds.
Lucky for us we are not being in contact with too many people, as everyone else we are of course at risk whenever visiting a store or using a public bathroom, but we are crossing our fingers and hoping for the best. We are already stocked up for a month if worst should come to worst in the few weeks remaining. In short, we are probably in the safest place we could be. But the things going on might affect how long we will stay in the places we visit, if we are even aloud to dock when we get there. As of tomorrow morning we will set a steady course north. Trying to stay ahead of the new storm-system building outside of Iceland.