Morning fog is surrounding FF Harry with a thick blanket of white nothingness. Giving me the chance to update you on the progress regarding our new ship. The crew has changed into a gettting-up-with-the-sun routine in order to make the most out of the daylight. We are working as hard and fast as we can to make the new vessel ready to head south before the temperatures around here drop dramatically.
The ship is built in 1957, it was originally made to be a fishing-vessel but before they could finnish her, there was allready better suited ships in circulation. It therefore never served as what she was built for. For size she is 30 feet (9,14 meter) long and 3 meter wide. They then put up a mast and made it a leasure-boat instead. Adding sail and other features more suited for her new purpose.
The engine is a 220 Bedford that most likely used to serve as the motor of a car. It has 4 cylinders and 62,5 horsepower to our disposal. Our first big quest was to figure out if it would actually start. If there was no life in the engine, I do believe this would be too much of a task for us non-mechanical pirates to take upon us. There would of course be a chance we could make it happen, but it would take a lot of time and money that we don’t have. But after a lot of testing, checking, going through the whole system several times and adding some fresh diesel to one of the three dieseltanks she wasn’t to hard to ask. The engine started without any big hickups after four years of standing untouched on land. Hurray!
But there is no time to celebrate. Captain Simen started the everlasting work on the electrical system. There is hundreds of meters with cables on a ship this size, and we have to check them all. Lucky for us, most of the gear is working just fine, but we had to install an extra bilge-pump and reattatch some cables, change som fuzes, doublecheck everything and make sure everything do the job they are meant to.
I have spent most of the time sealing up the outside of the ship. It has, as mentioned, been laying drydocked for the past four years. It has however been looked after, or meant to be set in water about three years ago – it never happened. There was still a bunch of cracks where water would flow in like a river if we didn’t seal it up properly. After spemding an entire day of sealing up with stuff like PL-400 and Sikaflex, not to forget adding new woodcapsules on several boltholes – there was a whole lot of space in between the boards still wide upen… We had to go to drastical meassures and repaint the whole ship. We used something called cold-asphalt, which is mostly a tar-based substance that both my hands, face and clothes now have been covered in. It’s how they used to do it economically in the old days. It worked a hundred years back and still does today. Just ask FF Harry, he got a coat just four months ago.
It took all of yesterday to do the bottom of the ship. Today is a new layer in between the boards before continue the work above the waterline. It’s a whole lot of work, but man.. There is not many things more beautiful than a freshly painted pirate-ship.
Allright, I think that was it for the update. Spillersboda as a town is perfect for this work. There isn’t too many distractions and they have everything we need. They didn’t have the cold-asphalt in the paintshop – but it only took a few hours from we ordered it until they had gotten it for us anyway. The grocery-store is also good, not too busy they either – but today they are supposed to have gotten fresh bread. They even have laundry-machines for us to use in the basement.. The only thing missing in Spillersboda is a shower. There is no showers here – and I really need a shower.
Don’t forget to help us out on our fundraiser, it is still not over. If you feel like giving us a hand, please go to our donationsite HERE.